A hearty and healthy fall stew seasoned to perfection!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package of beef smoked sausage, ½ inch round slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed though garlic press
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 baby yellow potatoes, cubed (skin on)
- ½ pound (8 ounces) diced butternut squash
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 TBSP chopped parsley
- Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add in the sliced sausage in a single layer and allow it to caramelize and brown on that first side (a few minutes). Stir and allow it to further caramelize for two more minutes.
- Add in the onion and stir to combine. Saute onion with sausage for about 3-4 minutes, or, until lightly golden. Add in the Italian seasoning, paprika, black pepper, a pinch of salt, plus the garlic. Stir to combine.
- Next, add in the carrots, parsnips, celery, potatoes, and butternut squash. Stir to combine with the sausage and onion mixture. Next, add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow stew to simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes (it can bubble, but don’t have it simmering too vigorously).
- Turn off heat, and taste check to see if additional salt and pepper are needed. Then add in kale and the chopped parsley. Stir to combine, allowing the kale to wilt into the soup for a few minutes before serving.
Serves: 4 (2 cups per serving)
Approximate Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 483 calories, 20 grams of protein, 32 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of fiber, and 32 grams of fat.