A gluten free and vegetarian side dish packed with the fall flavors your palette will love.
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash, cut into ½” inch cubes (about 1 half butternut squash)
- 1 ½ cups red onion, cut into ½” cubes
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp raw honey
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the butternut squash and red onion to a baking sheet. Season with 2 TBSP olive oil and 1 tsp sea salt. Toss to coat.
- Bake the mixture for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a small saucepan. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat; let the quinoa sit for 2 minutes then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Dressing: in a small bowl, mix the apple cider vinegar, 2 TBSP olive oil, raw honey, ground cinnamon, and salt to taste.
- In a large bowl add cooked quinoa, butternut squash, red onion, dried cherries, pepitas, parsley, goat cheese, and dressing. Gently toss to mix everything together.
Serves: 6-8 (1 cup per serving)
Approximate Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 241 calories, 7 grams of protein, 28 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, and 12 grams of fat.