This traditional dish is a healthy and hearty choice. Pair this dish with a bed of mashed potatoes, white rice, or pasta linguine.
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves on the bone, about 2 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ lb white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- pitted Kalamata Olives, a large handful (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped and juice reserved
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes or more to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over moderately-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken.
- Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and juice, olives, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer the mixture covered for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 20 minutes longer.
- Add grated Parmesan to taste and enjoy!
Approximate Nutritional Analysis Per serving: 240.5 calories, 30 grams of protein, 11.5 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of fat, and 3 grams of fiber.